I have an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 6, and neither can connect to iTunes or ifunbox after I updated to iOS 10. I tried to connect them through a MacBook Air running OS X 10.6.8. However, I got an error message "iTunes could not connect to the iPad "xxxx iPad" because an invalid response was received from this device. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
After upgrading iPhone to new OS iOS 10 (iOS 10.2.1, iOS 10.3 beta) or updating iTunes, an iPhone iTunes connection error--“iTunes could not connect to the iPhone because an invalid response was received from your device” turns up and troubles lots of iOS users.
So here are 4 useful ways in this tutorial for you to follow and fix this iTunes invalid response problem.
Method 1: Update iTunes and your iPhoneYou not only need to make sure you update your iPhone to the latest version iOS, but also run the latest iTunes version (iTunes 12.5.5) or newer so as to being able to connect an iOS 10.
Step 1. How To Update iTunes to the latest versionIf you missed the automatic iTunes update request check the following steps.
1. Open iTunes, click on Help, in the top-left area of the home screen.
2. Next Click Check for Updates.
3. If a new version is available, you can just click Update and iTunes will automatically download and install the most recent version on your computer.
(Else you get the confirmation that the version that you’re currently running is the current one.)
4. Click Update and iTunes will automatically download and install the most recent version on your computer.
Fact: Your computer has to be restarted for an iTunes update to register!
Note: If using Mac: open iTunes > find a menu bar at the top and choose iTunes > Check for Updates.
Step 2. How to update iPhone to the latest version iOS
1. Tap “Settings” on iPhone to the settings panel.
2. Tap “General” on the screen to the general settings panel.
3. And then find the option saying “Software Update” and tap on it in order to update your iPhone to the latest version of the OS.
4. Tap the button that says “Download and Install” to update your device
Note: If you already run the latest version, you’ll see something like the following.
Method 2: Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes.Sometimes iTunes may say it was up to date but turns out that it absolutely wasn't the latest version mentioned online. In this case, you need to remove and reinstall the iTunes to figure out this “iTunes could not connect invalid response” problem.
Note: If you uninstall/reinstall, would you lose your data?
1. Take a copy of your backup from %appdata%Apple ComputerMobileSyncBackup
2. Or take an iTunes library backup by taking a copy of the files in your My MusiciTunes folder (iTunes Music Library.xml, iTunes Library.itl etc) before re-installing.
And if you was asked for a "verification code", check and make sure that you signed into your iCloud account on your phone since the verification code is sent via iCloud. The code should also go to any other apple devices you have on the same iCloud account (eg. an iPad). If not, maybe Sprint service can help.
If still not solve the problem, you may try to do an OS X upgrade in order to install the latest OS X on Computer or Mac and then the latest iTunes could be installed. (You need to back up the older OS X and upgrade the OS X )
Method 3: Still not work? Check your USB and rebootiTunes could not connect to iPhone invalid response still appears?
1. Reboot your computer and iPhone. Restart devices usually can wide away from the software current state.
2. Check by using the original USB first and try a different lightning cable or USB cable later.
3. Try different USB port on PC or try a different computer.
Check and make sure your iPhone wasn't locked, unlock it with a passcode or Touch ID.
4. Try a reset on iPhone. Keep pressing ( sleep and home button) at the same time until you see the apple logo.
5. Reset network settings. Go for Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
Try resetting your lockdown folder. Follow the steps to "Reset the Lockdown Folder".
6. Check the Mobile Device USB drivers, and you can follow Apple Update Support.
Method 4: Use iTunes Alternative to transfer data from iPhone to iTunesIf an invalid response from iPhone error still exists, and you still find iPhone not connecting to iTunes, or you may want an iTunes alternative, here is a recommended one--iOS Transfer.
iOS Transfer not only allows you to transfer and backup files between iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod, iCloud, iTunes) but also transfer iTunes music to Android.
What’s more, it contains another powerful function, restore iTunes library when iTunes Library disappeared happens.
(includes the items that you didn’t purchase from iTunes).
Contacts, Messages, Call logs, Photos, Music, Movies, TV Shows, Videos, Podcast, iTune U, Audio Books, Voice Memos, Voicemail, Apps, App data
iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS
iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 2, iPad 4, iPad 3, iPad 2
iPod touch, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, iPod mini, iPod Classic
Here is a user guide of iOS Transfer for you to follow:
Step 1. Download iOS Transfer and Connect iPhone to ComputerDownload it to have a free trial
2. Run the program and connect your iPhone to Computer via USB cable.
3. Click “Rebuild iTunes library”.
Step 2: Transfer files from iPhone to iTunes
1. First, check the file types and tick the ones that you want to add to your iTunes Library.
2. And then click “Start”
You will find that you just transfer all the files at one click. If you want to preview files and selectively transfer them to iTunes, (take music as an example) check here: How to Transfer Music from iPhone to iTunes.
In addition, you even can use the iOS transfer to transfer iTunes library to new computer with no data loss.